Sunday, September 23, 2012

Live more joyfully - be like a river ; )

For me, so much suffering comes from my trying to over analyze situations, come up with ways to manipulate my life to be what I THINK I want it to be, and just plain over think things.  When I do this, my emotions become my compass, and then everything gets unbalanced fast.  During these emotional moments, it helps me realize that emotions are just that, emotions.  And so often, people orchestrate their lives to avoid painful emotions.  But it is when you take chances with your emotions, and accept that pain may come, (but know that it will also go) that you can really break through and have some beautiful experiences.  And I know I COULD get hurt if I allow myself to open up to potentially painful experiences (getting rejected by people or professional opportunities that challenge me), but what amazing experiences am I missing out on if that is the reason I don't take chances and live in the moment fully?  

The challenge is to just let the emotions come and go, and stay open to life.  Instead of hyperfocusing on the painful part,  focus on the good parts (your talents, family, friends, etc).  Think of your emotional experiences as a river.   Rivers take the path of least resistance. They hit a lot of rocks.  But they keep moving on.  They're not afraid of going over waterfalls.  That's the spectacular part, but also potentially the most painful part.  The river just keeps going.  It doesn't stick to that painful rock and say "Man, look at this painful rock.  Why is it happening?  I need to never run into a rock again.  I'm going to stay in this eddy and not go any further".  Or "Maybe I need to lug this rock around so it can't get in my way."  Rivers run into rocks but then just keep going. 


Those are some LARGE rocks.  Look how serenely the river flows past.  Impressive!

You're going to have emotions.  Don't hide from them or try to protect yourself from them.  Just experience them, and then MOVE ON!  How?  Live in the moment, and don't over-analyze past issues/problems/people/emotions.  Let go and let God.  Like the river that takes the path of least resistance, if you find a person or experience causes that you pain, that may be a sign that your river needs to flow elsewhere, to more supportive people, more edifying experiences, or you may need to refocus your energy on other talents or situations.  Take the path of least resistance to be in edifying, emotionally nurturing and/or healthily fun situations, just like a river.  It's that simple!   And remember, the river doesn't get to decide where it flows.  It just takes the path of least resistance.  It's up to God/the Universe to decide where it'll go. It's none of your business  to try to figure out what path your life takes.  Your business is to do what is most edifying to you with the current choices you have in front of you at the time.

Now get out there and LIVE LARGELY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment